Trying to talk about E3 keynotes was a bad idea. So much other stuff I want to write about instead.
Sony's keynote was the only one which I didn't watch live. I watched EA's, and even Ubisoft's (color me regretful), but Sony's was one I couldn't make. However I did manage to catch it through GameTrailers coverage. Was fairly content with the quality of both their livestreams and their replay coverage.
Sony's keynote focused on 3D, and Move. 3D for big titles like Motorstorm Apocalypse, Killzone 3 and Gran Turismo 5. 3D technology can be hit-or-miss, and whether games receive it warmly is still perhaps unknown. The immersion can be great, but stands to come at a cost - nausea and discomfort are all possibilities.
Sorcery was an on-stage demo showed for the PlayStation Move. A quirky title with some smart mechanics to showcase the technology, but the rest seemed a bit thin. I am more impressed by the Move's ability to cater to traditional games, beyond Xbox's Kinect. It would seem Sony seems to be aiming to lay its foundation in core games, while Kinect hopes to diversify with the casual short mini-games.
A significant mention for third parties, in particular Electronic Arts, showed a strong partnership for PS3 as platform of preference for titles like the upcoming Medal of Honor or Dead Space 2, to receive more comprehensive bundles.
And then there was Valve. Gabe Newell's 'surprise', which many rabid Half Life fans (read: me) interpreted as a non-Portal 2 announcement, ended up being... a Portal 2 announcement. To be honest, Valve only explicitly stated that the original schedule for a Portal 2 announcement was gone. However, it is a gross (and I must stress this) misstep on their behalf to leave an open mystery surprise. Valve has a rich back catalog, and should have anticipated the hype and subsequent disappointment that would accompany their announcement. Back on topic though, Valve announced some degree of Steam support for the PS3's version of Portal 2, details withheld. Certainly an interesting idea, but without any details, a very flat 'surprise'.
PlayStation Plus, a paid premium service is also a new Sony venture. Subscription-bound freebies, and early and exclusive access to demos were both perks mentioned as part of PlayStation Plus. While there will certainly be opponents to the concept, I cannot see monetizing the services causing any direct harm so long as 'early' is strictly earlier than before. Cutting into the date margins for non-paying users is not outside the realm of possibility, but incredibly devious.
Of all three keynotes, Sony's seemed to have the least 'big news' to deliver. Microsoft had their new Xbox revision, along with the first reveal on Kinect titles. Nintendo had their new platform - the 3DS, as well as big titles to follow. Jack Tretton, Kevin Butler and a whole host of video montages (seemingly lacking in the other keynotes) worked well in delivering the otherwise undistinguished keynote.
No comments:
Post a Comment