Monday, June 14, 2010

Speculative Suppositions

Have to drop my thoughts fast, keynotes are hitting real soon, and it'd be a shame if I missed out on the opportunity to have my say early.

First, what's already documented in known quantity: Microsoft Natal is now known as Kinect, and is releasing with a couple other Kinect-centric games. The press conference, keynote, media briefing, however you wish to portray it, starts in a mere few hours, and people are quite antsy. I definitely think that Kinect will be the crux of most of the keynote, but it would be unlike Microsoft to not tout its big flagship titles. In particular I think Gears of War 3 will be a big hitter, along with Call of Duty: Black Ops. A new Xbox model is also speculated, but seems to be far from a downsize version we're used to as far as hardware revisions go. Looks like, out of the three big players, Microsoft has the most 'splaining to do. Definitely monumental - I foresee a lot of heated argument to the degree of 'casual' that Kinect will bring to the platform.

Nintendo is the next of the three to proclaim its goodies to the masses. The 3DS (speculative render/details) will of course be the show-stopper: an entirely new platform is to be unveiled, chasing after the success of the juggernaut DS. Perhaps the most crucial point is how well the sans-glasses 3D effect works. My gut hunch is that we'll hear of a title called Golden Sun 3-DS. After all, announced last year, with it not showing any significant in-game assets or content, it might just be a flagship launch title (though it does seem a risky proposition). New Zelda game seems to also be set in motion - I do not think we'll have any repeat situation as with the originally GameCube-bound (but later shifted) Twilight Princess. Aside from the 3DS, Nintendo might spend most its time on software titles.

Sony is the last to have its press conference, just like last year. With Microsoft pushing Kinect real fierce, it would make sense that Sony dedicate a lot into its counter-proposal, the Move. There are rumors of a new SKU for the PS3, likely to be a new bundle, with possible hard-drive upgrades. The PS3 front will likely be flaunting 3D, with Killzone 3 being the big title to reference off of. Otherwise, the rumor mill has been fairly silent for Sony - which could mean a dull conference, but also leaves room for big surprises. I'm placing my bets on the former, however. There are no real indications of any successor to the PSP and upon that, Jack Tretton needs to dance around the PSP Go numbers - sounds painful already. Any stage-time Kevin Butler can net however, will prove beneficial. I expect news from Square Enix about both FFXIV, but I'm a slight bit worried about the exclusive FFXIII: Versus that Sony fans are entitled to. My lack of Sony-knowledge leaves me with no real insight on the keynote.

What else can we look forward to? A lot of hopeful shooters to (at least be detailed) this year, in the fallow year where Infinity Ward does not actually develop a big title. A lot of fanboy fecal-slinging as to who has become the most 'casual'. Most importantly, many poor-sleeping nights for me as I suffer to watch keynotes in a most inappropriate time zone. Regardless - E3 is right on our doorstep, and I'm ready.

Addendum: My most anticipated part of E3? Valve's 'big secret'. So very hyped, yet also so very cautious for possible upset...

1 comment:

  1. lol. chances are i'll be watching the eve alliance tournaments final instead of E3 or fifa this weekend :D

    Will be back for updates

    ReplyDelete